Income-Driven Repayment Annual Renewal

If you're repaying federal student loans in an Income-Driven Repayment plan (IDR) – each year you need to provide your servicer with updated income documentation and certify your family size. Generally, this is around the same time of the year that you first began repayment under the IDR plan that you selected.

You don't have to reapply for the plan, but it's important for you to provide the required information by the specified annual deadline. If you miss the deadline, you'll remain in the same IDR plan, but your monthly payment will no longer be based on your income and may increase.

To continue with IDR, you can renew online at or request a paper Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request from your loan servicer.

Renew online at

Renew Using the Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request Form

Learn more about repayment plans based on your income.

Two Options for Income Driven Repayment Annual Renewal

The fastest and most convenient way for annual renewal is on the Federal Student Aid website.

  1. Renew online at

    Renew online at

    • Select the Complete Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request link.
    • If you've filed taxes with the IRS, you can retrieve your most recent income information electronically.
    • If you have other loans with other servicers, they will also be notified electronically when you apply online.
    • There is no need to mail or fax a paper form if you use the online process at Your servicer will notify you when the annual recertification is processed or if additional information is needed.
  2. Renew Using the Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request form

    Renew Using the Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request Form

    You may print, complete, and submit the paper form – and any required documentation - by logging in to your account at and selecting Upload documents from the Customer Support menu.

    We'll notify you once your new request has been processed, or you can check the status of it online by logging in to your account.

    If you have more than one servicer for the loans that you're repaying under an IDR plan, you must submit a separate Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request paper form to each servicer.

    Note: if you request your renewal online at, all your servicers will receive the information electronically and you do not need to submit a paper form.

    As an alternative to uploading, you can 1) fax your form, along with any required documentation, to 855-281-1771, or 2) mail it to: Navient, Department of Education Loan Services, P.O. Box 9635, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-9760.

Helpful Hints to Assist You in Completing the Paper Form

  • Type of Request —Indicate this is your annual recertification by checking box b in Section 2, Item 1.
  • Your Spouse's Information — Include your spouse's information in Section 3, if applicable.
  • Family Size — Don't forget to complete Section 4 for your family size. Otherwise, a family size of one will be used.
  • Income Documentation — You must submit a copy of your most recent tax return. If you did not file a tax return, or either your or your spouse's income is significantly different than the adjusted gross income reported to the IRS on your most recent tax return, please complete Section 5 and submit your alternative documentation of income (if applicable).
  • Signature — Remember to sign the form in Section 6. If you have a Spousal Consolidation Loan and wish to repay under an Income-Based Repayment (IBR) plan, you and your spouse must both sign the form.